The last thing you want plaguing your home is mold. Mold can be seriously disastrous both for to the structural quality of your home and the health of your family. Mold can appear either in hot summer weather or in the cold winter, mostly due to various activities in the home. Mold is notorious for growing on walls, especially in places like closets, bathrooms, and underneath sinks.
Mold is a form of fungi, and they can occur both inside and outside the house. They thrive mostly in places that are warm, humid and moist. Once fungi spores land there, they begin to spread and form colonies.
Causes of Mold in a Home
Before mold can begin to thrive comfortably in an environment, there are six different conditions that can help it grow:
· Existing mold spores, which are almost everywhere in your home and outside. They are not visible to the eye which makes it harder to control their spread. Because of their light weight, these spores are easily transferred by air and begin to produce when they find moisture or humidity.
- Moisture. Mold has a high affinity for places in the home that are damp and warm. The longer the surface remains damp, the more likely it is for molds to form once spores land on that surface.
- A food source that will enable them to thrive in the environment. Mold can feed on a lot of things in your home, even from the wall. It just has to be damp.
- Oxygen. Mold is aerobic, which means they need oxygen for survival.
- Absence of sunlight is another necessity. The ultraviolet rays of the sun are deadly to mold and can alter their cellular structure.
- An optimal temperature to facilitate their growth. Mold is not comfortable with too cold or too hot temperatures environments.
Among all of these factors, the presence of moisture is the most important, and a moist environment can build up in your home from any of these:
- Broken pipes, which can soak the walls and leave them damp.
- Leaking roofs that allow water to soak the wooden floor of the attic.
- Inadequate ventilation that prevent damp areas of the home from drying completely.
- Even a mild case of flooding is enough to lead to the growth of mold.
The most common type of mold known to affect houses is black mold also called stachybotrys. Black mold causes a variety of allergic reactions, including rashes and skin irritation plus respiratory tract diseases. Black mold is also commonly referred to as toxic mold because of some of its major toxic effects. Some of the most disturbing and common ways in which the black mold manifests itself are:
- Darks spots gathering at one spot on the ceiling or on your roof
- A muddy, damp or earthy smell that is unpleasant to the nose.
- Moldy growths around the house
If you notice mold growth in your home its important first to know why it is growing there. Once the source is fixed and the mold growth is less than 10 square feet you can follow these simple steps to remove it:
- Clean the affected area with a strong brush, detergent and water. You have to use water while scrubbing so as to prevent the spores from becoming airborne and spreading.
- Use a powerful disinfectant by spraying it on the clean surface. Some of the most common disinfectants that can be used include hydrogen peroxide, white vinegar and grapefruit extract.
Anything more than 10 square feet of mold contaminated material it is highly recommended to call a professional to avoid spreading the mold to other areas. If you suspect the mold is black mold and/or the moldy area is quite extensive, call J & R Restoration right away. The mold will need to be expertly removed and repairs will need to be made in order for your home to remain safe.
How to Prevent Mold in Your Home
For you to keep your home free of black mold infestation, there are some measures that you can put in place to prevent its growth and spread.
- Ensure that there is no form of water damage located anywhere in the house. This can come up from broken pipes, faulty faucets or leaking roofs. All of these will lead to the accumulation of moisture and dampness.
- Get a dehumidifier to help you regulate humidity in your home. Since mold and black mold thrives in damp environments, it is best to keep the humidity in your home at its lowest.
- Ensure that your home is well ventilated. This will help to keep wall surfaces dry.
How Mold in a House Can Affect Your Health
Mold is dangerous for many reasons, but it’s especially damaging to your health.
Respiratory Tract Problems
Mold spores are mostly found in the air, and from there they find their way into the nose and into the respiratory tract. Inside the tract, they are capable of producing allergens and myotoxins. The respiratory tract is very sensitive to these. Mold is known to cause irritation in the lungs and throat. It is worse for people already with a confirmed case of asthma or breathing problems.
Some reactions can manifest in the body as a result of contact with mold spores. Some of the most common of these symptoms include an itchy nose, constant sneezing, reddening of eyes and a blocked nose. People with asthma might also be prone to asthma attacks when around mold.
Hiring Professionals for Mold Removal
To get rid of mold in your home your best bet is to seek the help of mold removal experts. Trying to get rid of an extensive mold problem on your own can be quite dangerous, especially when you don’t have the suitable materials needed to protect yourself during the removal. You can also containment other areas of the house if you do not properly remove the mold. J & R Restoration has the correct tools and materials needed to carry out the mold removal process. They will also help you to deal with the problem from the source and advise you on how you can protect your home from future invasions. Need help with mold removal in the Margate area?
Don’t hesitate to give J & R Restoration a call at (561) 674-2332.